How to Join Swan Canoe Club

This is what you need to do to become a member of the Swan Canoe Club:

  1. Fill in the membership application form available online. Follow the New Member link.
  2. Attend a Induction and Information Night (Dry Induction). These are held here at the clubrooms on the first Tuesday of every month at 7.00 pm and take about an hour. Here you can ask any questions you might have regarding the Club and learn about how we operate.
  3. After the dry induction but before the Wet Induction go online and pay your membership and key hire (optional extra).
  4. Attend the 2nd Induction Night (Wet Induction). They are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 6.00 pm. During the 2nd induction you will need to demonstrate that you can competently exit an overturned kayak, and swim a short distance - you will get wet so please dress accordingly (we do have change rooms so bring a dry set of clothes).

Whilst a Club Instructor takes you through your second induction, the Membership officer will check you have completed your online forms and made payment. At the end of this session you will be presented with a key and your welcome letter.


Instead of the 2nd Induction you can attend an Introduction to Kayaking course run by the club every month (see the link on the website or our on-line Calendar) - it takes five hours, teaches you how to paddle. If you take this option you will need to email the membership officer after you have attended your course to complete your membership process and collect your key.

NB: You cannot become a member unless you have attended the both the 1st (Dry) Induction and attended the 2nd (Wet) Induction or done an Introduction to kayaking course - essential for our liability and insurance cover!

Happy Paddling!


Joining midway through a year?

If I join part way through the membership year do I have to pay the full membership price? No, membership fees are prorated on a six monthly basis.


Do I have to become a member of CWA?

Yes all Swan Canoe Club members will automatically be made members of CWA and Australian Canoeing


What happens at a dry induction?

You will be taken through a briefing of how SCC runs, general housekeeping. What equipment is available for member use etc.


What happens at a wet induction?

You will demonstrate some basic competency skills on the water. You will be advised of these at the dry induction.


How do I get my key fob deposit refunded?

If you are leaving the Club, you need to return your key fob. Please email the club at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to advise of your departure. Please place the key fob in an envelope with your name and the bank details where you would like the deposit refunded. Please leave this envelope in the Club box in the Club foyer on your last visit to the Club.  Money will only be refunded if the key fob is returned within 6 weeks of leaving the Club.


What are the terms and conditions of membership?

See our Terms of Service Agreement.


Joint (eg Couple/Family) memberships

Joint memberships allow one person to purchase membership on behalf of others.

To add or remove an additional member to a joint membership, the holder of the joint membership needs to open their profile to the Membership tab and use the options below which are Add, Make Primary, Revoke.

Adding a user is done by entering the email address that they have in our system. The additional member will need to be registered on the registration page (requiring a unique email each). It is possible to add the email address of people who have not yet registered, the order is not important.

For renewals, the primary member needs to purchase renewal membership.


Free Mainpeak Membership, how do I get this?

Your membership at Swan entitles you to free membership of the Mainpeak Club. Fill in the card given in your dry induction package and drop it down to Mainpeak.


Security at the club?

There are some obvious security and housekeeping issues associated with entry and exit from the club house. For example when you go for a paddle, please ensure the padlock is left on the outside of the sliding doors. When you leave, please ensure that the padlock is on the inside of the sliding doors, the lights are off, the windows are closed, and ensure the front door is shut properly.